Wednesday 4 May 2011

As Promised...

I want to cry - I've just written a WHOLE post, only to somehow lose it into the deep, dark recesses of cyberspace! Aaaaaaargh! Has this happened to you before? What did I do wrong? Is this the karma from being - shall we say - slightly off-hand to the exceptionally rude cashier yesterday? Oh dear...


Let's try again then, shall we? The abridged version...

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I intended to tackle my linen closet. And tackle it I did! Well, not quite in the traditional sense... But what I did manage to do was take out my favourite pieces (and those that happened to correspond with the colour-scheme in my bedroom) and find them a whole new home of their own on the selvaged bookshelf that is now the TV stand for The Man's extra-large bedroom (which, I might add - hesitantly - that I have grown to love and spend an inordinate amount of time with... Yup. Just me and the remote...)

Quite pretty, I think. And super-easy to keep tidy:)
The actual linen closet itself however.... Hmmm, I'm hesitant to head into that discussion. Not only does it remain a mess, chaotic would be a better term. For some reason we have the most ridiculous collection of mismatched single-bed duvets and covers, continental pillow cases, currently not working electric blankets... And not a single bed in the house, nor a continental pillow in sight and we're only really interested in electric blankets that serve a function, really. SO yes, the actual linen cupboard remains on my list of things to do. But ten-out-of-ten for the above open-plan bedroom improvisation, right people?

Ok, and secondly.... I almost feel that perhaps it is too soon for me to share the below project with my readers, but I've decided to just 'put it out there'! I do ask, though, that you bear in mind that this was my first home project and it's not entirely finished...

A few weeks ago I mentioned my father's impending visit. And, well, me being me, I left myself exactly 1 day to get the spare bedroom / storage room / laundry drying area whipped into shape! And given my time-frame, I think I did a pretty darn good job...
Here are some pics of the blank, um, canvas that I had to start with:
Ugly...

Uglier...

Ooooh... Without a doubt, ugliest!
From then, with a bit (lot?) of elbow-grease, some TLC, some dedication and a really tight time frame, here's some of what I did to get things a bit more ship-shape:


Although this was my very first time using wood-filler, I learnt a very valuable lesson in the process... When the directions tell you to dilute the filler with water to a ratio of 1:1, THEY'RE LYING! Whatever you do - don't. If you must, mix the water in slowly, bit by bit. Particularly if you are focusing on smaller areas. Personally, I managed to get away with it as I had vast stretches of the cork-like covering to seal, but when it came to the actual damaged areas of the wood / cork you're better off just smearing it on straight - this way you have far more control.

Attempt number 1 - far too runny.

Sewing the inside hem of the envelope-style cushions I made for the bed.
And so... the end result looks a little something like this:


 I ended up finding 2 metres of turquoise towelling fabric for an exceptional price at y local fabric shop, so quickly sewed up a rug and a cushion (see below). The intention for the empty frame above the bed is to frame some of the same (or similar) fabric that I used for the envelope cushions just to continue the theme. In the background there is a turquoise lantern which I'm hoping to supplement with 2 more smaller ones - thrift store finds that I'll paint in similar blues / greens to create a focal point.

White-washed cane chair with towelling rug and matching cushion. Refurbished bookshelf looks much better in white!
On the top right-hand corner of the above pic are a serious of small frames containing individual seas shells - I ran out of time before my dad's arrival, but really feel that they would look great with the frames white-washed, as would the antique mirror. What do you think? And what are your feelings on the dark bedside tables? I definitely don't want to keep them dark for this room. But my concern is that with the white-washed wooden floors and all other exposed wood being white or white-washed it could be too much?

I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions... I'm learning as I go, so please share your thoughts and any inspiration with me - all input is appreciated.

Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...