Tuesday 12 July 2011

A little bit of self-indulgence…



I love those subtle moments that I’ve been noticing more regularly when I realize that I really am growing up. Like overhearing a girl in her late teens call her Grandmother “Nonna” and not immediately thinking of my own grandmother but rather thinking about what nickname my own children will one day have for my mother….
And yes, children are still quite a few years away for me, but it is the essence of this subtle shift in perception about which I talk. Small snippets of life where talking furniture and décor, listening to my married friends and new mums talk about their lives beat hearing about a colleague’s raucous weekend hands down! When fun has evolved to spending an afternoon cooking elaborate dinners for friends. Maybe because it’s new and different to what held my interest before, I don’t know… It's great to be able to take a step back, remember some great parties, smile softly to yourself and be able to recognise and feel pride at how much things have changed. Softly, softly moving forward into something so different, so placid, so stable in comparison. And there's something beautiful in that. I dunno... I guess I'm just finding this whole experience quite beautiful! Most of my twenties flew by so fast and in such a whirlwind, I guess this is the time for me to retreat and regroup before I move forward.


Maybe I’m noticing it more because I have a birthday approaching. Turning 29 in less than a month. So many people keep telling me that “I’m still a baby” but bear in mind that this is all new territory to me. And it is a little bit scary….
I think the thing I’m most excited about as I get older and wiser is finally learning to love and accept myself. I’m still waiting to get to this point… (Please hurry!) 
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...